Monday, January 24, 2011

{ communicado }

{Translates as 'breathe' which is not something this tower of dictionaries readily inspires...} 

Happy Monday!

Drove the 435km from Cape Town to Oudtshoorn this morning - left home at 4am(!) and was late for work :P Good start to the week :) Feeling sleepy, but here's a short post to keep the ball rolling...

So... the relocation happened so suddenly I kinda forgot one teeny tiny detail – Afrikaans(!) Kinda silly because just about everyone on the platteland speaks Afrikaans - Duh! Now, a little background,  I haven’t spoken ‘Die Taal’ much since high school mondelinge and ordering the odd beer on Edward Street, so this was a pretty huge challenge! {Understatement} But I’m happy to report that two months down the line I can answer the phone and hold a pretty decent conversation – sometimes I can even make jokes! People end up laughing with me, not at me – very welcome change!

Many thanks to my ‘twee-taalige’ dictionary tower and Google Translate!

Groete {Greetings} from the Klein Karoo!

P.S. After posting this last week, my trusted twee-talige which I've had since junior school was nicked out my office :( Who steals someone's dictionary?! T.I.A.{bleak}

No comments:

Post a Comment